Friday, February 20, 2009

Chocolate Waffes with Fresh Strawberries

Is that chocolate featured as the main course? You betcha! No, I'm not the least bit ashamed about it.


The strawberries are ready in Florida and they are starting to arrive at our local produce markets. I couldn’t resist they looked soooo wonderful.

When I saw these in the store several recipes came to mind but Chocolate Waffles jumped to the front of the line. When chocolate can be featured as the main course then I’m all over it. These are my daughter’s favorite and I have been warned not to eat them all. She's planning on having some when she gets home from work. Now, would I really eat all the waffles? She thinks she knows me so well. Is being a chocoholic genetic?

I’ve been making chocolate waffles for quite a number of years. I have changed recipes, adapted recipes and tweaked my little heart out trying to find that just right combination. I like to make these as a weekend brunch or for a weeknight dinner. Typically chocolate waffles are made as a dessert and are fairly sweet, they are delicious with toppings like ice cream and fudge sauce or fruit. When we are having these as a meal we like them not quite so sweet and then topped w/ fresh sliced strawberries with a drizzle of maple syrup. YUM!

Tonight we had these for dinner with some link sausages. Although in my house they are called “killer” sausages. If not careful they can send out spurts of hot juice out when you cut into them. This happened to my son one time, a line drive right between the eyes. Now, every time we have them we warn him they are attack sausages and they can kill. I have asked him if he would like a pair of goggles before eating them. I’m not sure he finds it as funny as the rest of us. If you decide to serve these with sausage links…Beware the killer sausages!




Chocolate Waffles Adapted from King Arthur Flour Baking Companion

  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c butter, melted and cooled (or 1/4 vegetable oil)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, slightly rounded
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 c buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 c all purpose flour
  • 1/4 c sugar sugar
  • 1 pint of strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
  • Maple syrup
For dessert waffles: additional 1/2 c sugar and 1/4 t nutmeg (optional) stirred in with other dry ingredients. Gently fold 1/2 c chopped walnuts and 1/2 c mini chocolate chips into batter after thoroughly mixing in dry ingredients.

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, butter or oil, and vanilla. Beat until light, about 2 minutes. At this point your waffle iron needs to be heating up so that once you blend the liquids with the dry ingredients you can begin adding to waffle iron. Blend in buttermilk, then flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Bake waffles in preheated well-greased waffle iron until done according to the manufactures directions for your waffle iron.

Serve topped with sliced strawberries and drizzled with maple syrup. These can be covered with plastic wrap and stored till next day or frozen and pooped in the toaster.

If making as a dessert: top with ice cream and your favorite fudge sauce.

Yield: ten 8-inch waffles. I used a large waffle iron and doubled the recipe for about 7 large waffles.

* If you don't have buttermilk on hand, add 1 T cider vinegar to measuring cup then fill to one cup line with milk. Allow to sit at least 5 minutes, but preferably till room temperature.








We really enjoy these when fresh strawberries are available but we sometimes enjoy them with strawberry syrup (recipe coming) when the fresh berries are not available. These are also delicious with fresh raspberries.

We have farms around here where you can pick your own strawberries. I can't wait till they come in and I will be sure to post more strawberry recipes here. Enjoy!


I'm glad you're here, pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Mountain Belle



This post is being linked to:

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace

3 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace

Wow, what a great recipe. I have NEVER had chocolate waffles. They sound wonderful. Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. I hope you keep coming back.

domestic.blizz

Just dropping by from Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have just been thinking about buying a waffle maker to experiment with making waffles and will be sure to save your recipe to be able to make these. Sounds like they are a firm favourite in your household.

Nicole

Looks sooo good! I'll have to see if I still have a wafflemaker!

Post a Comment