Sunday, March 1, 2009

Southen Pecan Brownies


This is my favorite brownie recipe. Luckily I don’t make them very often because I could eat them all! Brownies are a popular treat with most everyone and these are pure decadence. They are really that good! I have made these with and without the nuts and both versions have been equally delicious. I do recommend that you don't skip toasting the nuts, it's well worth the extra step.

I have used milk, semi-sweet and white chocolate chips / chunks and they all turn out great.

These brownies are dense, chewy and full of rich chocolate flavor. Although I have changed a few things but I change the butter. I have to agree with Paula on this one; butter does make it better. These don’t last long around here.


Southern Pecan Brownies adapted from from “Cooking with Paula Deen”

1 1/2 c butter (3 sticks)

5 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate

2 1/2 c sugar

6 large eggs

2 c all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 c milk chocolate morsels

1 c toasted chopped pecans

Confectioners sugar (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 13x9x2 baking pan or line with heavy duty aluminum foil and lightly grease the foil. The foil aides in removing brownies and makes clean up easier.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and unsweetend chocolate. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until butter and chocolate are melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In mixer bowl, beat sugar and eggs at high speed until fluffy. Beating the eggs will give you that shiny crusty brownie crust we are familiar with. If you don't want the crust, then skip the mixer. Instead gently stir the eggs until mixed and then add sugar; stirring just until blended. This will give a softer finished crust. *

Gradually stir in cooled chocolate mixture.

Add salt and vanilla and stir well. Gradually beat in flour and stir just until flour is mixed through. Do not over mix. Stir in pecans and chocolate morsels.

Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-38 minutes or until center is firm.

Once cool, lift brownies from pan using foil as handles. Dust with confectioners sugar if desired.


Tip: When trying to cut fresh warm brownies, the best knife to use is a plastic knife. This will help keep the brownies from crumbling and tearing while you cut them. I know it sounds strange but trust me, it works. I keep one in my baking drawer for just such special occasions.

* This is a great tip I learned from the famous cookbook author and writer Shirley Corriher. I love her books "Cookwise" and "Bakewise".


I'm glad you're here, pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Mountain Belle



This post is being linked to:

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace



4 comments:

Kaycee

Those look great. I can't be trusted around fresh brownies either.

Debra

Oh....I am so tempted to make these....but then I'd have to share. Hmmmm. Thanks!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace

These looks yummy! So glad you joined us, for TMTT.

Mountain Belle

They were still warm while the photos were being taken. I had a very hard time keeping my hands off them long enough to finish the pictures.

Sharing them is the hardest part!

Post a Comment