Monday, March 16, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint White Chocolate Ganache


My tribute to St Patrick's Day and a bad day treat for myself. Not bad huh?


This is a moist delicious chocolate cake made with brown sugar and sour cream. It has a rich chocolate goodness that is awesome.


I decided to icing these cupcakes with a silky mint white chocolate ganache. Now we are talking pure decadent pleasure. I enjoyed every mouthful!


I made the ganache and then divided it and made half of it green in a tribute to St Patrick's Day. This is a rich ganache; almost truffle like, so a little goes a long way. You can lighten it up if you choose but I was going for the full works! There are loads of ganache recipes; the one that follows is more the ratio for truffles. I use this when decorating with ganache or when decadence is called for.


These are wonderful for any occasion. The ganache can be colored to fit any occasion or simply left its natural color. These are delightful with the white ganache and sprinkled with crushed starlight mints. Make some for your favorite occasion; chocolate and mint...how can you go wrong?


I have the recipe ingredients below as originally written; I only changed up the mixing steps. I always omit the coffee granules when making this cake but add them in if you like coffee flavor in your cakes. I confess that I can not tolerate anything coffee and sweet related. I love coffee and sugar but can't handle the two together. I never waste my efforts making any dessert that has coffee flavor in it. That's my quirk, so I've put it in the recipe for those that enjoy it.






Decadent Chocolate Cake adapted from Wilton
  • 3 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 3/4 cups sour cream
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs (room temperature)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Grease and flour pans if not using cupcake liners.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt unsweetened chocolate; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, dissolve the cocoa powder and coffee (if using) in hot water; stir well. Stir in sour cream and salt, set aside. I medium bowl combine flour and soda; whisk well and set aside.


In large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy; add sugar and beat again till combined and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and mix thoroughly. Add eggs; one at a time, mixing just until yellow disappears. Do not over beat at this point. Next, add melted chocolate and blend well; scraping bowl well. Add half of flour mixture and add a small portion of the sour cream mixture; just enough to make the flour mix in well. Now add rest of flour and stir just until combined. Add remaining liquid and stir until combined. Do not overmix your cake at this point.

Divide batter among pans. Bake layers at 35-42 minutes; start checking at 30 minutes. if making cupcakes start checking them at 15 minutes and may take up to 20 minutes.

Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.




Mint White Chocolate Ganache

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 16 ounces good quality white chocolate , chopped
  • 3 tablespoons butter (optional but good)
  • 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl. Heat cream and butter (if using) till almost to the boiling point. Remove cream from heat and stir in extract until combined. Pour hot cream mixture over chopped chocolate. Stir until all the chocolate is melted and thoroughly combined; at this point stir in any food coloring if using and stir to combine. Cover and let the mixture cool to room temperature. When mixture is cool put in mixer and whip until light and fluffy. This will not double in volume but will be fluffy for cupcakes. If using as a piping; you can skip whipping it. Icing cupcakes as desired.

Tips:

  • The ganache can be made on its own, chilled, no need to whip and rolled into truffles and decorated as desired. Yum!
  • This is a heavier ganache version made for use on cupcakes as shown. If you wish to icing a cake or would like a much thicker icing on your cakes I would double the cream and half the chocolate for a light fluffy version. This version is less dense but still very tasty.
  • Omit the mint extract and use on a cake of your choice.
  • This recipe works equally well with semi-sweet chocolate. Have fun...make it yours.


These were so delicious; I couldn't get the photographer to leave them alone. I hope you enjoy!




I'm glad you're here, pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Mountain Belle



This post is being linked to:

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace


9 comments:

Darla

Must.leave.now...or I will hunt down chocolate....YUM!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace

Oh my goodness!!! These sound wonderful and I love the final pic of the half eaten cupcake. Good for you! Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Sarah

Sounds heavenly!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home

These look lovely and yummy!

Anonymous

Chocolate and mint? You CAN'T go wrong! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous

Ohh, haaa. This looks so good, I love the icing recipe, yummo! Can you send me one my way?

Nicole

Looks yummy!!!

Mitchell Webster

Will you be adding to your blog any time soon, or do I need to get another year older while waiting?

Mountain Belle

Good one Mitchell!!! Just think .... I'll be another year older too. :)

Post a Comment