Thursday, March 5, 2009

Orange Pineapple Marmalade


I think of marmalade as edible sunshine!


This is a spin on traditional marmalade. It's a citrusy blend of oranges, lemons, pineapple and cherries. This is wonderful on toast, biscuits and in your favorite recipes.

Frequently, this time of year good sales can be found on citrus fruits and that makes this the perfect time to make marmalade. There's something special about making this during this time of year; it's still cold and dreary outside and this reminds me that spring really is around the corner.



Orange Pineapple Marmalade from "The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook"

3 medium oranges
1 medium lemon
1 (20 ounce) can crushed unsweetened pineapple, drained
6 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 hot water
1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped *

Wash oranges and lemons; cut into quarters. Remove seeds and membrane from each piece. Grind unpeeled oranges and lemons in a food processor or a meat grinder.

Combine ground citrus, pineapple, sugar and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes, uncovered; stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in cherries.

Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, filling to 1/4" from top. Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids and screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes. Yield: 8 half-pints.

* The maraschino cherries up the sweetness level but sometimes I like my marmalade a little tarter. This time I substituted chopped dried cherries for the maraschino cherries and cooked them with the other fruits to soften them up. Pick your sweetness level and eat it up. The dried cherries will give a little darker look and the maraschino will "pink" it up a bit, both are tasty.




Now you have a nice supply for yourself or a special gift for a fellow marmalade lover.



Remember the English muffin bread? Ah, here they both are together. I
love it when a plan comes together!


I'm glad you're here, pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Mountain Belle


3 comments:

Anonymous

I've never tried marmalade, but this makes me want to try it. :)

Anonymous

by the way...its Jen :D I don't have an account of any other type so I'm annonymous.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace

Oh my goodness. This marmalade looks wonderful. Thanks for visiting my post on instant potatoes. I laughed about the whole pouch being a snack for your son. My husband ate a whole batch, with his dinner, on Monday night. HAHAHAH.

Post a Comment