Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cabin Remodel Part 1

our not so attractive ceiling       
First on our remodel list was to remove the  standard 8' ceiling and raise it to make the space feel more open.  So we had the carpenter start taking the ceiling and insulation down on one section so we could take a peek.

Our original plan was to leave all the trusses exposed and paint them; sadly that look was not to be. The trusses had ugly wood plates since it was built before metal plates were used. The trusses themselves were all rough cut lumber. This meant they all had pieces of insulation stuck to them and they were going to have to ALL be de-fuzzed and groomed before we could paint them and all the rough cut wood was going to be a real pain to paint; pink fuzz not the look I was going for.

It was going to be an extremely time consuming project so the original plan was vetoed. If it hadn't been for all that pink fuzz I was going to sic Darth Vader and his power spray painter on those trusses. I think those cool exposed trusses need to be planned for at time of construction and not after the fact.

It all worked out because I had a Plan B! (actually Mr. Carpenter did …. shhhh). We decided to have the ceiling re-engineered and vault it. Good idea Mr. Carpenter; let's do it.
So, we began the long process of reworking the ceiling, supports and preparing for a tongue and groove vaulted pine ceiling. I have never learned to do things the simple way and decided that the pine needed a subtle white washing before being installed. I began experimenting with different colors and options till I found the one I liked. Subtle but pretty. Then….. the wood arrived. All the ceiling boards needed to be whitewashed and all the exterior trim pieces I had wanted needed to be primed and painted. Oh no!!! What was I thinking? I have to whitewash and paint all of those?
While the new supports and trusses are being taken care of I am up to my ears in boards to whitewash. 

The Husband took this photo because he thought my "backside" would give folks an idea of how big that stack of wood really is by using my backside for comparison. Very, VERY funny!

Somewhere in New England there is lovely old covered bridge with very wide boards. The Husband used this same measurement technique (my backside) to show how BIG the boards were. Ha Ha!       

Thank goodness Mrs. Carpenter came to my rescue. She helped me whitewash board after board after board. She is actually there more than I am so she has actually whitewashed more than I have. Thank you Mrs. Carpenter!!!!! I was proud of myself when I finally finished all the exterior corner trim pieces (that were on site) to go on the cabin. Then …. Mr. Carpenter informs me that more are coming; all the new window trim pieces. Sigh, this is going to take a while folks.
Tongue & Groove boards before whitewashing      
After whitewashing. I'm really liking it.      
While I am up to my elbows  in painting and whitewashing Mr. Carpenter is wanting me to make decisions . Where do I want lights, where do I want switches, how do I want to ceiling boards to run. The nerve of that man! If you have ever built or remodeled a home then you know what I'm talking about.  I was about ready to do my best Linda Blair imitation. He just stood there smiling waiting for me to process and decide.  All I could think was "where is the chocolate"?  During most of this The Husband is doing the power spray painting and his Darth Vader act. All we got out of him (when he would stop to talk) was "whatever she says" in his Darth Vader voice. I don't think Darth Vader ever said those words.

Trim painting and ceiling board whitewashing are rolling along and the new windows and doors arrived  have arrived.  Hooray!

I'm glad you're here, pull up a chair and sit a spell.
Mountain Belle

1 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery

OHhhhhhhhhh, I like the vaulted and whitewash....I am so excited for you!!!!! I like the measurement technique too....backside. bahahahahahah.

Post a Comment