Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Mountain Cabin Storage Building

 
The Storage building is finished! 

There is a storage building on the property with the cabin. We have been working on the cabin too but the building is showing the most signs of progress so I'm starting with that. I have to attempt to redeem some of my sanity with you guys!
Poor building           

The building, like the cabin, had been neglected, piled full of things, covered with soot from a non-vented generator and the generator needed serious attention before we could use it. There was a large gaping hole in the bottom back wall that I was sure a bear could fit through.  That thought got me one of those looks from The Husband.  Yes, I am nuts! (but I still think a bear could have fit through there). The Husband said he would fix the hole so "mice and squirrels couldn't get in".  What about the bears I ask? I think our daughter inherited her eye roll expertise from him!

It's a man-thing and and The Husband wanted to stake his territory in the building before I could so he jumped right in and because we really needed to get the generator working. He worked his fanny off on the building while I was busy clearing out closets and cabinets in the cabin. The building is a lot smaller than the cabin so it is showing signs of progress pretty quickly. He did a great job!!!

The above photo is after he had power washed the entire building and he had already started to prime it. I missed a couple photos....oops.

While he is doing all this work I am still plotting on exterior colors. About the same time we were purchasing the cabin I had a birthday and The Husband handed me the keys and said "Happy Birthday". Hmmm.... I said "Cool! This means I can paint it pink!". Now a photo of that face would have been awesome! I can't wear it and it doesn't smell good but I'll take it. Planning paint colors can be a daunting task. Do you know how many shades of pink there are? I still think that building would look lovely pink. Don't you?

I kept working on paint colors and this is the compromise I came up with.

Looking nice! He then put down a nice layer of thick pine bark mulch till we decide on permanent pathways. We bought 8 bags but we need to pick up a few more to finish the job. The residue on the ground is paint from using the power spray painter. The Husband says it will go away soon; I think it makes it easier to see bears!  :)

As I mentioned earlier, I just had a birthday during all of this. Our son is in the service and he and his wife are currently on the west coast and couldn't be here for my birthday. They sent me a gift card for my birthday to use on MY (snicker) cabin. I took my gift card and bought some out door candle lit lanterns for outside the cabin. Thanks for the present guys!! The Husband stood back and viewed his awesome job on the building and decided it was missing something. He rounded up some hooks and 2 of the lanterns and put them on the building.


This is the end result. I think it turned out great. The Husband did a great job!


We are making progress!


I'm glad you're here, pull up a chair and sit a spell.
Mountain Belle

    
This post is linked to these friends; check them out!: 



Transformation Thursday










IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

2 comments:

Allison @ House of Hepworths

Wow, it's already looking so much better! I love the color combo you went with.

Storage Buildings

Hello.
I have seen your Blog... It’s too informative. There are many posts which are really too Good and very useful.

Post a Comment